Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Holiday Glimmers

Holidays can be stressful.  You have to think of all the things you have to do, and all the places you need to go.  Sometimes planning for your service dog can be stressful as well. Going to peoples homes is different than every day, and they might even have pets of their own.  Navigating around homes with decorations, and small doorways can be challenging. Sometimes these challenges make me stressed, and can even make me feel like I don't want to go or participate. 

 

I found out about this really cool thing called "glimmers" it is parts of your day that make you feel happy, peaceful, glad, hopeful, or joyful.  By focusing on all of my "glimmers" throughout the day it helps me to focus on the good parts of my day.  When I reflect at the end of the day my negative experiences are always out shined by all of the "glimmers" in the day. I love the holidays, for some of the things I really enjoy.  I love decorations, and putting up the Christmas tree.  I love riding in the car and looking at everyone's holiday lights. I love celebrating my birthday that is very close to Christmas with my family. Making holiday treats to share is so fun.  Relaxing and resting after a busy day is wonderful!  

   


Going to my grandparents and getting to see them is one of my holiday traditions.  This past week we got to celebrate Thanksgiving.  This was Tibbs and I's first turkey day being together.  I was nervous about all of the thanksgiving smells, new places, and our big family crowds.  Tibbs had also had an allergic reaction earlier in the week.  Tibbs had never had anything like this happen so I of course was worried.  We had to take him back to the veterinarian so soon after his yearly visit, but I am so glad that they were able to help and he is all back to himself now.  On Thanksgiving I was concerned that his Halti was going to irritate his face since he had just had a allergic reaction, so we went with just a martingale collar. I gave him the day off from his vest since we were just going to my grandmas with my close family.  I was nervous about their house with all the yummy food smells, their pet cat, and all the decorations being up.  I am happy to report that Tibbs did amazing.  We both had a great day.  Holidays and unexpected events can make life stressful, but be sure to keep your eyes out for the "glimmers" this season!

1 comment:

  1. My goodness, Tibbs and you look so festive. Was Grandma's house, "Over the river and through the woods..."?

    Thank you for sharing "glimmers". I have to watch my own frustrations when my perfect vision how I think things should go or my view of how I think others should see what seems so obvious.

    ReplyDelete

Rare Disease Legislative Advocates Youth & Teen Advocacy Day

Rare Disease Legislative Advocates Youth and Teen Advocacy Day took place on June, 18th 2024. I had the opportunity to speak about important...