Monday, September 23, 2024

Really Living Life


I had one of the best experiences of my life this past summer. I got the opportunity to do adaptive surfing with the Adaptive Surf Project. I was in Myrtle Beach, North Carolina for a CURE CMD family gathering weekend. Cure CMD had an amazing weekend planned that was jam packed with activities anyone can enjoy.


 

We set out on a Saturday morning to meet up with the other participants and the volunteers from the Adaptive Surf Project. The beach is something that is typically very hard for me to access and enjoy. As soon as we got there I knew this was going to be a different experience. Mobi-mats and tents were already set up so our group had immediate access to the beach, something rarely found at a beach in my experience. The sun looked so pretty sparkling against the ocean water. The sand felt rough and coarse. The sand had made the shells smooth and unique. I was so excited to get to use a wheelchair at the beach to get right out onto the sand. I was able to see my friends and get to enjoy the beach, ocean, and activities. Getting to be so close to feel the ocean water and taste the salt was incredible.  I was so pumped to get out on the waves. As soon as I had heard about the family weekend itinerary this was one of the highlights on my list. Before we could get out on the waves a volunteer came up and enthusiastically told us all about the surfboard options that we could use. They had three options with additional supports available to make sure that they could work for all the participants. They had one you could sit on an adapted and supportive chair on, one that you sit on with support from other surfers, and one you could lay on. Everyone participating has different abilities and comfort levels with surfing. The Adaptive Surf Project volunteers were so excited and welcoming we knew instantly we were in good hands and it was going to be an amazing experience.




Each participant had the opportunity to surf one at a time. My friend went first. It was so exciting and exhilarating to see her smile, surf the big powerful waves, and the crowd cheering for her. It made me so excited and confident that I could do it. I was up to surf next. I got all set as the volunteers helped me onto the surfboard. A volunteer was already sitting on it to support me and keep me safe. Another volunteer was behind her steering the surfboard. Many volunteers were pushing it out into the powerful waves and making sure I was safe and comfortable. I felt so excited when the first wave came up behind me. I was going faster than I ever had in my life. I felt like I was practically flying. I don’t remember ever tasting salt water. It kept coming up into my face and made me feel amazing. Every time I went rushing towards the beach on the surfboard I saw my service dog Tibbs and my family watching and cheering for me. It made me feel so happy that everyone could enjoy the beach together. I felt amazing, I had not moved that much in years. Feeling the waves hit the board and splash me were so freeing.

 


Once we got done I was moved to a beach wheelchair and could enjoy the feeling of sand with my friend and watch my other friends surf. Tibbs was so excited when I came on shore and was sure to give me lots of love knowing I was back and safe with him by my side. A reporter came up and asked if I would do an interview about my surfing experience. I was sure to tell them how amazing it was, and I know it is an exceptional experience I will never forget.
 





Wonderful pictures and events are thanks to CURE CMD, The Adaptive Surf Project, and Ryan Elswick Photography. 



2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you had such a great experience! You made wonderful lifetime memories you'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete

Really Living Life

I had one of the best experiences of my life this past summer. I got the opportunity to do adaptive surfing with the Adaptive Surf Project. ...