Saturday, June 15, 2024

Steamboat Classic


 Last year I ran along with my dad in a running chair.  He pushed me in it for 4 miles in the Steamboat Classic race.  I don't remember every detail, but I do remember...at every corner there were people cheering and encouraging us to go on. Due to safety with the chair and the large crowd we got to start 5 minutes early.  I remember being cold from the wind on my face. I remember talking to my dad about my brother, and hoping he did not catch up with us and pass us.   I asked my dad what his favorite part was from last year's race, he said "leading off the race together, and sharing the experience with me".  My favorite part was being out of my power chair and doing the race experience with my dad. We were able to come in first in the women's wheelchair race 
category.  It was unforgettable.  I can never forget how fun it was.  

  

I had big plans ever since that race to do it again this year. Unfortunately due to my health I was unable to participate in the same way this year. There are many fun ways to enjoy the Steamboat Classic race including cheering on the competitors, the after party, and the Riverfront Market right by it on the very same day. Tibbs and I cheered on my dad, brother, sister, and many family and community members.  It was fun to spot them in the crowd of runners both at the start line and the finish line.  We were also able to enjoy music by the stage at the after party. I got to chat with some of my family and friends.  They had neat new drinks and snacks set up for the runners. 


 

I love the Riverfront Market.  They have so many vendors with homemade items, treat, artwork, and produce.  I am so glad it is located by the race because it is such a fun way to extend the morning for more fun.  It is very dog friendly.  Almost everywhere you look people have their pets.  Tibbs is such a good boy, and helps me shop and find great things.  We especially like to check out the dog treat booths, and handmade items they are Tibbs and I's favorite booths.  Tibbs is a pretty popular guy.  He tends to get recognized often, allowing us to meet lots of new people.  It is a very early morning to fit in all this fun, so we are always ready to head home and rest up. 

 

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I have ridden a trike bike. It is wonderful to go fast and have the breeze in your face. Even if it is not really that fast :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great blog! You're very good at describing your experiences. So much so that I feel like I'm riding along with you!! I'm so glad you had another great year at the race and after party. Tibbs is such a good boy. Great work with him.

    ReplyDelete

Rare Disease Legislative Advocates Youth & Teen Advocacy Day

Rare Disease Legislative Advocates Youth and Teen Advocacy Day took place on June, 18th 2024. I had the opportunity to speak about important...