Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills North Carolina

On a recent part of my family vacation trip we visited the OBX, specifically the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina area... I had a great experience. Not only did the ocean rescue station supply free beach wheelchairs for individuals to use. They also had a huge ramp access as well as Mobi mats! Most beaches don't take accessibility into consideration, and are difficult for people with mobility challenges to get around. When visiting a new location with mobility challenges I am never quite sure how it will go. I am happy to say this was a very positive beach experience.
With access taken care of I could go to the beach whenever I wanted. It gave me a new sense of freedom at the beach. When you have mobility challenges and go to the beach you can often feel excluded from what others are doing due to access, but this was not the case at this beach. I was able to be included and have a full beach experience. On this visit I could go to the beach in my power wheelchair to see sand crabs at night. Tibbs and I had never done this and we got pretty excited watching and holding them. Tibbs finally got his feet wet in the ocean. After years of trying to convince him the ocean can be great he finally got his paws wet. He even seemed to enjoy it! The sand gets very hot so we were sure to bring mushers cream. My dad and siblings went out when it was a little hot and wished they had some too. The Mobi mats and beach wheelchair allowed easy access all the way to the water which you do not see at many beaches.
I have always said I would live life to the fullest. Sometimes this is hard to do on your own. When communities open the doors to access it means the world to me. Providing the means for everyone to get to the beach regardless of abilities. Providing beach chairs, and Mobi mats, all give easy beach access for everyone. While it benefits everyone, for so many individuals who cannot get on the sand without them it is wonderful to have this access available.















Comments
Post a Comment